Under supervision of the Registered Nurse, the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) provides resident care in accordance with the Ohio Nurse Practice Act. The LPN is responsible for utilizing principles of the nursing process in carrying out delegated aspects of care for both residents and families. The goal of resident care shall be toward restoring and maintaining each resident’s identified capabilities at their maximum mental and physical level. Supports the philosophy, mission and core values of St. Leonard.
Reports to: Unit Manager
Essential Job Specific Duties/Responsibilities
- Maintains effective communication with residents, families, staff and physicians.
- Responsible for daily shift documentation including head to toe review of skilled residents.
- Functions in a calm and positive manner in an emergency or crisis situation.
- Communicated consistently with the RN Unit Manager; reports pertinent concerns/issues to RN Unit Manager.
- Places necessary calls for families and physicians. Demonstrates appropriateness of faxing vs. phone calls to physicians.
- Communicates appropriately with physicians; makes rounds with physicians in absence of RN Unit Manager or as delegated by RN Unit Manager. Utilizes physician file appropriately.
- Reviews and teaches resident and family about pain management, including pain-rating scales and goal setting; importance of aggressive, preventive pain treatment; analgesic misconceptions; and plan for pain management.
- Assists RN in developing, implementing and evaluating teaching plan to meet learning needs of residents and families.
- Documents in accordance with nursing policies and procedures.
- Documentation reflects interventions and resident response; resident/family teaching documented in Nursing Notes and Resident Plan of Care.
- Accurately records review of physiological and mental dimensions of residents, including pain review.
- Monthly summary completed accurately and timely utilizing resident plan of care. Plan of Care and Resident Care Card updated/revised monthly and as necessary.
- Skin integrity reviews accurately reflect resident and are completed weekly.
- Documents resident response to non-pharmacological strategies to promote pain relief and resident response to analgesics.
- Documents, at time of service, all medications and treatments administered.
- Documents in EMR accurately and timely.
- Responds to resident needs with appropriate interventions with the licensure of an LPN.
- Provides nursing interventions according to the written plan of care.
- Gives and receives a thorough report to/from oncoming nurse.
- Monitors work performance of nurse assistants. Make frequent rounds throughout shift.
- Suggests appropriate ways to solve problems and make improvements on the unit(s).
- Provides hands-on direct care; including ADL’s and treatments as necessary. Able to delegate specific nursing tasks appropriately to STNA’s, excluding anything that requires nursing judgments.
- Performs activities related to medications and treatments in accordance with facility policies and procedures.
- Safely administers medications and treatments ordered by the physician.
- Maintains control of scheduled drugs and all drugs in medicine cart; monitors for discrepancies and reports promptly to RN Unit Manager.
- Keeps medication cart key-locked when not within eye view of nurse.
- Appropriately records and orders medications from the pharmacy.
- Monitors for and reports Adverse Drug Reactions appropriately.
In addition to the essential job specific duties listed above, the Licensed Practical Nurse shall be required to perform all duties (essential and non-essential) in a manner consistent with the mission statement and core values (reverence, service and stewardship) of St. Leonard and will be evaluated on such basis. Furthermore, every employee must abide by all campus, departmental and safety policies, rules and regulations.
St. Leonard has the right to change the job specific duties and specifications required for the position of Licensed Practical Nurse from time to time without prior notice.