Under the direction of the Director of Dietary, the Cook prepares all food for evening meals and special events. This position works closely with the Lead Cook and Dietary Supervisor.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
It is the responsibility of all employees to accept, read, and follow the initiatives of CHI Living Communitiees as outlined in the publication Our Values and Ethics at Work. Corporate Compliance is the duty and responsibility of everyone employed by CHI and its related organizations.
- Promotes a strong belief in CHI’s Mission and has respect for and compliance with Linus Oakes’ Resident Rights Statement.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with Mercy’s Core Values: Reverence, Integrity, Compassion, and Excellence.
- Incumbent has no access to confidential information and must comply with the terms of the Mercy Medical Center Security Policies as it applies to their job role.
- Collaborates with immediate supervisor to establish, define and refine department goals and objectives consistent with facility’s Mission and Values, and demonstrates satisfactory progress towards these goals and objectives.
- Exhibits the ability to make effective decisions based on verifiable and measurable data/criteria.
- Promotes positive customer relations with internal and external customers.
- Demonstrates respect and sensitivity to cultural/social differences in interactions with others.
- Completes assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates initiative and problem solving skill, using sound judgment.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as needed, with little or no direction, shows initiative in assisting others within the department.
- Prepares and serves food for evening meals and special events.
- Observes portion control guidelines.
- Completes preparation for next day’s meals.
- Alerts supervisor to problems and needs concerning equipment and food supplies.
- Provides final quality assurance checks as meals leave the kitchen for presentation to the dining room.
- Ensures the storerooms, walk-ins and freezers are clean and organized.
- Responsible for the cleanliness and sanitation of work areas and equipment.
- Actively participates in the maintenance of a safe work environment.
- Assists in washing dishes through shift as needed.
- Assists in preparing food trays for delivery to tables or apartments.
- Attends in-service training and meetings as required.
- Maintains a respectful attitude toward the home environment, family relationships, health and psychosocial history of residents, and family members.
1) Work indoors in heat-controlled environment 95% of the time. Some exposure to hazardous materials. Safety materials provided for hazardous materials.
2) OSHA Exposure Category
Category #2: No job-related exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- One year experience cooking in a dinner house with knowledge in soups, sauces, salads, meats and fish cutting required.
- Current Food Handler’s License required.
- Serv safe certification preferred.
- Must be able to evaluate work situations and prioritize tasks while working efficiently and independently.
- Must be able to read and write menus and recipes as well as follow oral instructions.
- Knowledge of Sanitation Rules required.
Standing 85% of the time; walking 10% of the time; sitting 5% of the time (lifting and carrying 30% of the time and able to carry up to 50 pounds. Pushing/pulling 20% of the time; bending, stooping, twisting 10% of the time; reaching and handling 85% of the time. Climbing stairs 1% of the time (elevator available).
*Hearing: within normal limits with or without use of corrective hearing devices.
*Vision: adequate to read 12-point type with or without use of corrective lenses.
Must be able to verbally interact with staff, clients and public.
*Manual dexterity of hands/fingers for writing, computer input.
(*denotes essential function)