Christ the King Chapel


The Gardens at St. Elizabeth’s historic chapel is the centerpiece of this community offering daily Mass and Rosary. The Chapel is also open to residents who want to spend time in its peaceful solitude. When visiting our community, please stop by the chapel. Then you’ll understand why we say, “Our chapel is filled with 100 years of prayers.” 

1894 
What is now The Gardens at St. Elizabeth was originally constructed as the Oakes Home, a tuberculosis sanatorium. It was built by the Reverend Frederick Oakes, an Episcopalian Minister. 

1897 
Christ the King Chapel (originally named Chapel of Our Merciful Savior) was built in the Colonial Revival style. 

1934 
The TB sanatorium was closed. Attempts were made to treat those suffering from other illnesses. The project failed, and the building was again closed in 1941. 

1943 
The Sisters of St. Francis purchased the Oakes Home property from the Episcopalian Diocese of Colorado. It was used as the Motherhouse for the Sisters and was named St. Joseph Convent. 

1954
The Sisters moved their Motherhouse to the site of the Modern Woodmen of America Sanatorium in Colorado Springs. The Sisters then moved the residents from Mount Elizabeth Retreat in Morrison, Colorado - a home for the aged, which the Sisters operated - to the vacated Motherhouse and named it St. Elizabeth’s Retreat. 

1974 
Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for a new three-story building to be erected on the site east of the Chapel. 

1975 
Residents were moved from St. Elizabeth’s Retreat (the old Oakes Home) to the new structure, consisting of 198 units, which was named St. Elizabeth Center. The Oakes Home was then demolished, but the Chapel was preserved. 

1975 
The Chapel, called Christ the King Chapel, was named a historic landmark of the City of Denver by Historic Denver, Inc. 

1987 
On March 26, groundbreaking ceremonies took place for the erection of a 14-story building with 144 apartments west of the Chapel. 

1988 
In August, the new structure was opened for occupancy and dedicated on September 11. The name was changed to The Gardens at St. Elizabeth. 

1997 
Christ the King Centennial.